It’s August here in the valley of the sun and this week we are seeing some more record breaking temperatures – 115 degrees tomorrow! Keeping your home cool and trying to stop those hard earned dollars melting out the door can be challenging. Our a/c is humming away 24/7 and those bills just sky rocket until we feel the temps dip in late October. According to SRP, air conditioning can account for 50% or more of your electric bill.
- If you have an off-peak time for electricity and gas, find out from your provider what those times are. Use your dishwasher, dryer and washer during the off-peak times.
- If you are not at home raise the thermostat temperature by a couple of degrees. Better still, have a programmable thermostat installed so that the temperature is lower when you are at home.
- Fans help to cool a room and reduce your a/c bill as a result.
- Closing your curtains/shutters during the high heat of the day will assist with keeping the house cooler.
- Tinted windows in your house will reduce the strong glare and heat of the sun. An awning installed over a window can provide extra shade inside.
- Find new ways to grill your food using your outside BBQ. It’ll keep the heat outside where it belongs. Using the oven indoors will only bring the inside temperature up quicker.
- You can find many more cooling and money saving tips for the home at http://www.srpnet.com/energy/ess/cooling.aspx .
Stay cool in this extreme heat and don’t forget to join us at www.facebook.com/cleannfreshAZ. We would love to hear how you are staying cool this summer. What have you found effective for cooling the house AND saving money?